So. On Monday, October 8, 2018, I turned 25. In fact I’m writing this on that Monday evening, just to be sure I get things right, and also because I like being a dramatic like that (yeah).
Dear 24-year-old me,
This morning, when I woke up and realized I was 25 at last, it didn’t hurt as much as you’d thought it would. In fact, I felt pretty good and I still do.
Even though I know I am now a quarter of a century, and technically closer to 30 than 20 (although, not when writing this post because I’m precisely in between) I still feel okay with it.
Maybe it’s because I’ve put way more effort into my well-being and mental health these past few months, but I do feel happier, and more content with my life as a whole.
So, turning 25 isn’t so bad after all. And you do accept it even more when you realize, like I did, that you’ve accumulated quite valuable knowledge so far, that you wish you’d figured out earlier.
So here are the 25 most important things I’ve learned so far. May this knowledge be useful to anyone now or in the future, younger or older.
- Life is short.
- Take lessons from the past, dream about the future, but always remember to live in the present.
- You never know what turn your life is going to take from one minute to another.
- Never underestimate your own courage.
- What you can achieve only depends on what you think you can achieve.
- You have to be brave to fulfill your dreams.
- Always sleep on it.
- Don’t overthink, because your first take on something usually is the best one.
- Love doesn’t come easy, you’ll have to work at it.
- Be patient: things always come around.
- Never take life-changing decisions under stress or lack of sleep.
- Always make sure to make time for yourself everyday.
- Open your mind.
- Never forget things are never black and white.
- People who lie always will.
- Learn about History, and your own history: doesn’t define who you are, but gives you perspective.
- Don’t despair and believe: the wind will turn.
- If you are looking for answers, ask yourself.
- Alone doesn’t equal to lonely.
- If no one believes in you, believe in yourself.
- Your guts never lie.
- Always do the best you can.
- Always show kindness and understanding.
- Never let others tell you how you should live your life.
- But, always listen to your Mom (perhaps the best advice of all)
With love and kindness,
aka The French Hat